Sunday, March 9, 2008

Field Journal: Weeks Six & Seven

I couldn't post last week because I went on My First Trip.

In my case, this involved a long car ride to visit my Gran (Poppy's mom) in Tennessee. I had to spend a lot of time in my car seat, which isn't my favorite. I coped by sleeping almost the entire time. Every few hours, I'd get hungry and the Soft Food Source would take me out of my seat, change me, and feed me -- not easy to do in a minivan!

We ran into snow on the way down and the way back, so both times I got to stay in a hotel for the first time. It wasn't that different for me, because I travel with my crib (a Pack 'N Play). So I had my comfy, familiar bed, sheets and wrap. My big brother thought it was cool because he got to sleep with Mommy and Poppy, watch cartoons at midnight, and eat breakfast in bed.

I also got to see my first grass! Apparently, most babies record when they see their first snow, but most babies weren't born in the middle of Wisconsin's snowiest winter ever (90+ inches and counting). I didn't realize that the world isn't white with shades of grey. And not freezing cold all of the time, either!

I also got to meet my other grandmother and her husband, Mr. A.C. Unfortunately, we didn't get to spend much time visiting because Gran got sick with the flu the second day we were there. Too bad, because I had a good time being cuddled and admired. The Soft Food Source and Hairy Comfy One were unhappy because we spent 22 hours in the car and only 28 hours in Tennessee. Everyone was tired and cranky when we got home, except me -- the Soft Food Source kept my routine going, so I wasn't very disturbed.

I'm continuing to gain control over my body. I am starting to reach for toys hanging over me on my play mat, and I can lift my head and shoulders off the ground. I can also hold my head steady when SFS pulls me up, and I like to spend some time every day sitting up in her arms, looking around.

I'm gaining weight and still eat every three hours. I wonder why the SFS seems so tired? I like this schedule, I'm not sure why she doesn't.

I'm also starting to coo a bit and I smile a lot more. I'm still fairly serious -- this growing business is no laughing matter -- but I'm typically in a good mood first thing in the morning and I like to throw the SFS a bone by smiling and cooing at her. She gets so excited and happy, it's sweet.

One weird thing: I'm losing my hair! I guess it's a preview of what I'll look like when I'm older (although Poppy has all his hair and so do Mommy's brothers). Apparently, babies lose their birth hair and then grow more. Seems a silly system to me, sort of like having baby teeth and adult teeth. What, do you need training hair before you get the real thing? Right now, my hair looks kind of wild because it's long in back and on the sides, and it tends to stick up. SFS says I look like the mayor of the Lollypop Guild...

No comments: